[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 30, Issue 7

Dylan Carlson carlsods at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 16:02:28 CST 2010

Rudy,  I posted the following comment in December 2009.  I hope it
helps you, too:

Dylan Carlson
CDT NOBO 2009

Heading northbound, I used the Wolf Guides (somewhat useful) and Ley
Maps (indispensable.)

Reading the guidebooks backward was a pain, but completely do-able.  I
found the sections regarding water in NM especially useful.

Moreover, the cultural and historical notes in the Wolf Guides were
quite interesting.  I enjoyed learning about the area I was hiking
through.

Overall, however, if had it to do over again, I WOULD NOT purchase the
Wolf Guides.  At $100+ dollars, they are less useful than Jonathan
Ley's free maps.  You would be better off investing that money in a
GPS or forest service maps.

Finally, in case it hasn't been drilled into you yet, DO NOT purchase
the "official" CDTA guidebooks.