[Cdt-l] Maps & Guidebooks

Bob BobandShell97 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 12 09:11:54 CST 2010

Jonathan is, of course, right:   "it really depends on how you learn about
and navigate the world"

There's also an enrichment issue, in addition to the method issue.  It
depends on just how you view your environment and what you want to learn
about it and from it, as you go.

Staying found is the absolute bottom line.  Maps can do that.  But, in
addition, there are many hikers who view their hike as possibly a
once-in-a-lifetime experience and they want to wring all they possibly can
out of it.  That usually requires information.  My, do I love maps and I
usually hike with three or four of any given area.  Often it takes
consultation with several before the particular answer, lurking on the
paper, reveals itself.

But next to staying found, locating water has to be right up there in
desperate importance.  Often guidebooks tell of a water source slightly off
the obvious path that simply isn't marked - at least in an obvious way - on
the map.  Jim Wolf is particularly good at helping you find those.  He spent
a lot of time looking for water for you.

Many hikers are just interested in walking speedily from Point A to Point B
and checking out the views as they go.  That's cool.

However, some are fascinated that runaway slaves who killed their overseer
were caught and hanged right here on the trail, or that a moonshiner had his
cabin 100 yards to the right, with hundreds of old bottles in that gully, or
that the area just ahead is famous for the unusual fly-eating pitcher plant
or that a huge, especially fine example of conglomerate rock can be found
here just by sticking out your left hand or that the spring ahead has been
tested and found to have too much uranium in the water or that there are
lots of bleached cow bones in the bottom of this shallow lake or that this
notch you're going through used to be called xxx and why or that a
particularly famous explorer crossed the Divide right here, going east to
west, on a particular date.  Just random memories from the guidebooks for
the AT, PCT and CDT.  A impossibly long, but delightful, list of info
learned only through reading a guidebook could be made.  Yet, it's
absolutely true that info like that just doesn't interest some hikers.

The elder statesman of the CDT, Jim Wolf, has devoted all his free time for
many decades setting forth for future hikers all he could learn about the
trail and its environment, as well as being a champion for challenging the
Forest service to do the right thing in the actual treadway placement.  When
I did the CDT, I wanted to be the beneficiary of all his work and knowledge.
Do I think his guidebooks are perfect?  No.  Would I like them readable in
either direction?  Of course.  But the changes I'd like would be much too
costly for him to manage, with the limited finances available.    Hiker
cost?   Somewhere either on this list or PCT-L, years ago, I believe someone
wrote that if you couldn't afford to buy the guidebooks, you probably
couldn't afford to do a thru-hike.  You'll spend more than that in a good
town stop.

Some buy the books, then to save weight extract what they think they need
and mark up their maps with many little details.  Namie Basile told me that
the first two times he hiked the CDT he just used Forest Service maps,
nothing else.  He's got more guts than I do.  Obviously, there's no "right
way" to hike a trail, hence the motto HYOH.  It boils down to the type of
experience you want.  I'm one of those old farts who thinks of life as
"continuing education."   It doesn't matter which trail we're on. for me,
guidebooks help that education.

OK, this came off as more "preachy" than I wanted, but I'm too lazy to go
back and change it.  I'm still working on my early caffeine and I may be -
as Click and Clack say -  "Non impediti ratione cogitationis." -
Unencumbered by the thought process.    But some of you have thought that of
me for years.

Dr Bob