[Cdt-l] Gila River route water levels and Black Mtn route snow levels

Bill luttge.bill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 15:55:12 CDT 2010

I'm planning on a NOBO thru-hike starting mid-April and I'd sure like
some advice on the best route to take between Silver City and Pie Town.

I know that most folks take the beautiful Gila River route, but from the
postholer.com reports I see that NM has a lot of snow this year, so the
Gila River should be flowing fast and deep - a definite concern for an
old/short guy like me.  The obvious alternative is take the Black Mtn
range route (aka, CDTS official route), but this would put the trail up
high enough that snow could be a real problem.  I don't mind snow, but
it would be nice to know what to expect.

Yogi's Town Guide mentions a NM-15 road walk option to Gila Hot Springs
thereby avoiding the southern part of the Gila River. Wouild this solve
the high water problems?

In a cdt-l report El Coyote suggests taking NM-35 (from NM-15 or from
CDTS route?) to FR-150 and then hiking north on forest roads to Pie
Town.  Would this solve the high water problems?

Any suggestions or corrections would be appreciated.

FireBall