[Cdt-l] Fwd: Gila River route water levels and Black Mtn route snow levels

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 06:20:41 CDT 2010

N of Silver City, on the JLey route, you can hike  to Sapillo Creek, and
cross it hopefully just above it's confluence with the  Gila; I'd check with
the Rangers on that creek ford first (It runs from the E,  and isn't too high
an elevation as I recall.). From there hike about 5 mi E on  the ?????
Trail, then hike N about 15 mi on NM-15 to Gila Hot Springs. This  avoids the
"lower" Gila.
Supposedly the Middle Fork Gila may be more  passable, but check w/the
Rangers. I'm going to bail out at Silver City; I don't  want to miss the Gila or
Middle Gila, nor do I want to get up into the Gila Hot  Springs/Cliff
Dwellings area and have to hitch back to Silver City where my  car will be;
that's a hard hitch on a 25 mph road. Instead, I'll drive over  to the AZT for a
S Terminus start and hike to Oracle. Then I have to  drive to KS for a 1 May
wedding.
    After it I'll return to the CDT preferably , if the  "lower" Gila is
passable, or the AZT if not. I'll hike to Superior or Phoenix,  and then take
a break for part of Jun. In Jul I'll drive to MT and start the CDT  from
Canada for a month, and then drive to WA to finish the PCT from Trout  Lake WA
to Canada in Aug.
    Hell of a complicated summer, but the El Nino snows  in NM and the
wedding have made it more complicated; otherwise I'd have just  hiked the CDT to
Cumbres Pass. If I can give anyone a ride in all that mess, let  me know.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas

"Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says,  'See, if it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.' " -- Harry Browne

"If you  think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it
costs when its  free." -- P J O'Rourke

In a message dated 3/17/2010 1:45:44 A.M. Central Daylight Time,