[Cdt-l] Fwd: Gila River route water levels

Bob BobandShell97 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 17 07:46:59 CDT 2010

Agreeing with the first part of Trekker's post, this is what I sent a friend
3 weeks ago:

If taking Jonathan Ley's route, there actually is a nice escape route for
you if you get to the lower Gila, at the confluence of the Gila and Sapillo
Creek, and find it uncomfortably high.  I noted from the maps last year that
just as you reach Sapillo Creek (after descending the ridge between Snow
Creek and Corral Canyon and just before turning left along Sapillo Creek to
reach the lower Gila in a few yards) there is a side trail (Tr 247 on the
East Half Gila Wilderness map) that runs to your right approx. 6 miles over
to NM 15, the road from Silver City to the Cliff Dwellings.  Tr 247 goes
east in a "straighter" line than the creek does and comes out on the road
just a few yards south of where NM 15 crosses Sapillo Creek.

If you want to check on the water level by phone from Silver City, Paul at
Doc Campbell's Post would know about the stream flow for the Gila.
503-536-9551

Dr Bob