[Cdt-l] nobo start

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 24 18:58:44 CDT 2010

Sam Hughes:

I highly recommend Sam and the CC route.  You will probably want him to pick you up at Demming or Lordsburg (last public transit)  So, he will be well over $100 and you will want to pair or triple up to cut costs.

The signage was good in 2008 all the way to Silver City.

>From Silver City, we followed Boston and Cubby's route past the Monistary.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=224577

They have now finished building, so there is a big private land issue.  So, you should get good local info or use the public trailhead, which was described in a post a couple days ago.

I used the Military trail described by Boston and Cubby, and the earlier post.  (Before I started the militaary trail, I walked an extra hour down the paved road to get water at the campground.  This was one of the longer and most recommended side trips to water on the trail.)  I had a problem at the tank (intersection with the Apache Trial) because I didn't write the description or have a good map.

B&C were very early, and took the high route from Doc Campbells.  You should probably note the route, but try to get to Jordan hot springs.  The Little Bear alternate was very nice and dry.

Jim