[Cdt-l] Anyone familiar with Garmin eTrex VISTA HCx?

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Sat Mar 27 16:35:09 CDT 2010

I am using a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and encountering the same problems. You hit
on one solution - reload from a CD, or thumbdrive when you get access to a
computer.

Another solution is to "simplify" the tracks. Several programs, some free,
will do the simplification. What happens is that some of the dots that make
up the lines get removed. If the line is a straight line like a road that is
no problem. When points are removed along a winding trail you lose detail of
the track - like a straight line across switchbacks.  The Oregon & Colorado
still have the problem of a 10,000 trackpoint limit per Garmin's website.

Ken