[Cdt-l] Anaconda Cut offf

Sly hikertrash at gmail.com
Tue May 4 15:43:41 CDT 2010

Here's Jonathan's answer from last year...

I just wanted to put a “shout out” to the non-Anaconda route (i.e.
actual CDT) around Butte… Each year, quite a lot of hikers take the
Anaconda cutoff. While years ago this part of the CDT was mostly a
lengthy road-walk, it’s now quite a lot better and mostly all trail. My
guess is that a lot of old information is still in circulation;
incorrectly describing the CDT route in that area. Actually, the
Anaconda cutoff may have more road walking than the CDT route (even
including Delmoe Lake Road). So, if your goal is to stay off roads,
you’re probably better-off with the CDT.

The forest service, CDTA, and local volunteers have put a lot of effort
into improving the trail in this section, and it’d be great if more
thru-hikers could “show it some love”.

Yes, it’s a little longer than the Anaconda cutoff, but it’ll only
lengthen your trip by a couple days… And is a couple more days in the
mountains really all that bad?

Anyway, hike your own hike and all that… but give the Butte trail a
chance, eh?

Good luck & best wishes to all out there in 2009!

-Jonathan