[Cdt-l] Embrace the

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 18:28:59 CST 2010

David -
We first heard the "brutality" expression AFTER our second CDT hike.  And we laughed.
Because our 2006 hike was, without question, the easiest thruhike either of us had ever
done.  We had few water problems, no bear problems, few thunderstorms, and got "lost"
only in a couple burn areas or in sections where we were following "pink ribbons".

We had very few snow problems because we started late and didn't try to hurry
through NM.  Nor did we "hurry" through the Trail.  We finished in mid-October and were
the last of the Nobo's, so we were completely alone on the northern part of the Trail for
over 3 weeks (except for the hunters and a few bears).  We saw the Indian Summer in
Montana that the other hikers missed.  And I could write a book about the trail magic.
And another book about the wildlife sightings, the scenery, the beauty.........
Damn, that was a good hike.  When can I do it again?

Brutality?  I don't think so.

BTW - if you think the Trail was obscure when you did it, you should have been there in 1999.
There was one 150 mile section with no/zero/nada/zip CDT markings.  And we thought we were
lucky because less than 10 years prior, there had been a completely unmarked 600 mile section.

Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/