[Cdt-l] Embrace the

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 20:45:12 CST 2010

lol - we had our whiteout on Black Mt in Montana.  We had our snow in Glacier. We had NO water
information for the bootheel (we were the first to hike that route - as the "official" route into Lordsburg).
And I was doing it on a knee that needed replacement - my knee mechanic told me he didn't think I
could make the distance, but he thought I should try it anyway.  Good man.  And he was "almost"
right.  At least we didn't have to deal with another rock slide like the one in '99 that took off the end
of one of Ginny's fingers.  But even that had a positive effect - it saved "my" life. I know - not everyone
thinks that's a positive :-))

Still no "brutality" - not from my point of view.  The positives far outweighed the negatives for
both hikes.

We've watched people do the Trail for over 15 years now.  And read the registers from 20, 30
years ago.  And talked to the people who did it before and after us.  And the "brutality" is always
related to either their attitude or their actions.  Has nothing to do with the Trail.  Yeah - the Trail
is harder some years than others. Snow, thunderstorms, drought, maintenance, marking...whatever.
And it was a whole lot harder 10, 20, 30 years ago.  But in 2006, it was comparable - and in some
places, better marked, than the PCT.

It still all comes down to attitude and actions.  It's not the problems  you encounter that matter -
it's how you handle them.  And if you're encountering "brutality", then you need to change what
you're doing - or the way you're doing it.  Just like everything else in life.

I know you learned that - you wrote it in your journal.  :-)

Have a good night,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/