[Cdt-l] Maps

hetchhetchyman at aol.com hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 20:31:26 CST 2010

From: andyj92 at aol.com
To: elawlor at gmail.com; cdt-l at backcountry.net
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:35:13 -0700
Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] delorme atlas maps

Speaking of  maps; How many maps does one carry on a thru hike. CDs are great
but power,damage, etc dampen that idea.
Do I get maps for each section in each CARE package or-?

The conversations are wonderful for learning tips, things to look for, things to
avoid. Is there a new book coming soon-?

I am looking forward to a late Feb/early-Mar start.  I appreciate your help.

Trail Monk... Nope, not a chipmunk...

Hey Andy.. Trail Monk!

A lot of us CDT hikers use the superb set of maps provided by Mr. Jonathan Ley.
www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt

He provides a CD ROM of maps that cover not only the "Official" CDTA route but also much of the CDTS or Wolf route. You are quickly going to find that the CDT is a bit different than other long trails in that there are multiple choices. "Embrace" the freedom of this trail. You definitely won't find any white blazes or even a lot of CDT markers in many places. I can only speak from the experience i had last year (2010). The beauty of using Jonathan Ley's maps are: 1. They are based on USGS quads 2. They are plotted as a trail corridor specific to the exact path of the divide or trails close to the divide. 3. They have first hand information on water sources 4. They are updated often 5. You print them yourself or have them printed at a copy shop.
I did both. I made a "master" copy-inkjet on photo paper on my printer at home.. total cost $300 bucks. I also had a "working" copy printed.. cost $140 at a local print shop- laser copies on plain paper.
There are just over 300 pages in the set. You might also want to invest in the Delorme Atlas's- New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. I just cut out the relevant pages and they were nice to provide and overview of the trail, dirt road alternates, and nearby features such as peaks, rivers, etc.
For detailed route information you can get the CDTS "Wolf Guides". Jim Wolf is the father of the CDT. He created the Continental Divide Trail Society which lobbies for the protection and expansion of the CDT as a non-mechanized trail along the divide. The CDTS guide books are incredibly detailed and contain a literary (word) description of the trail along with natural and historic information. They are primarily written as a Southbound guidebook with the exception of N. Montana which is written for both directions of travel.
This year I ran into a CDTA (Continental Divide Trail Alliance)crew mapping Montana for a new set of guide books with maps. The CDTA is, from what I can infer, the closest thing to a governing body of the "official" route of the CDT. I know, it is kinda confusing. Both groups are around to benefit the CDT so lets just count our blessings and leave it at that. In the past the CDTA books were rumored to not be well written to aid thru hikers but it appears they are making strides to correct that. I have no other information about their books.
This post is becoming a guide book so I might as well throw in a guidebook. I suggest Yogi's guides at : www.pcthandbook.com  Yogi has really great information from all different types of hikers. The Town guide is worth it's weight in gold. I never got tired of the elated reactions of townsfolk when I showed them their town in the guidebook! Anyhow, i mention Yogi's guide because it contains a great section that collates all the different maps by source and section.. it really aids preparation.
Anyhow you can also get GPS maps of the CDT from someplace.. I can't speak to that cause I did not use GPS.
I have probably raise more questions than I answered but I thought I would at least try to make a sensible post to respond to your inquiry.
Cheers-Iceaxe