[Cdt-l] met on AT

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 09:48:14 CST 2010

I met my husband, Bald Eagle, via the AT in 1998.  He had thru-hiked in '95 and
was one of the experienced hikers giving out advice to the newbies on Wingfoot's
new Trailplace web site.  We "met" through the site, and after a lot of emailing
and a phone call from his very sweet mom, I agreed to let him meet me at the
airport and take me to Springer.  We met on the trail several times and, despite
all odds, kept it going.

We ended up dating another six years, through a PCT attempt in '00.  Got hitched
in '04 and took off to try the PCT again - this time made it to Canada.  Rode
our bicycles self-supported from coast-to-coast the next summer.  Then,
attempted the CDT in '07, only to discover I was pregnant in Scapegoat
Wilderness.  We are expecting our second daughter in a few weeks.

OTHER COUPLES:

Oasis and Purple met on the AT in '98; they are some of my best friends to this
day.  They were married a few years after the hike and have a daughter.

Katie-Did and Real Bill met on the AT in '98 and were married a year or so
afterwards.  I haven't kept up with them in a few years.

Debbie and Germanator met on the PCT in '04 and were married last year in Lake
Tahoe.  They are also close friends of mine; Debbie was my college roommate.

There are several other AT '98 couples that I know of who were married....at
least three other couples, though I don't know them that well and don't keep up
with them.  Heard about their marriages through the grapevine.

Nocona