[Cdt-l] 1,000 Poptarts

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 17:50:27 CST 2010

Heaps is a nut! I met him somewhere in Northern California on the PCT in 2009. Not only did he attempt the Seiad valley pancake challenge, eating 5 lbs of pancakes, but also went back for a cheeseburger afterwards! Then in Oregon he took the "Resess Pieces" Challenge. I think he ate them for 100 miles! My favorite Heaps story is when I first began to catch him on the trail. There were these strange footprints. It looked like someone ahead had two different shoes on. When I finally caught up I had to laugh. Here was this practically 7 foot tall dude taking 1 step to every three I took. Add to that he was hiking with one of the soles of his shoes flapping half off! Every other step left an otherworldy imprint in the trail dust! At size 15 I thought I was following a partially shod Sasquatch for a while.
I had seen other hikers walk in thrashed shoes but Heap's footware took the cake!
There sure are some amazing, great folks out there on the trail. You never know who you will meet!
-Iceaxe