[Cdt-l] Grizzly Bear Research

stumpknocker stumpknocker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:30:48 CDT 2010

*There are A LOT of those trees partially wrapped in barbed wire along the
CDT in northern Montana along the Trail.  I wasn't sure what it was all
about until Mrs Gorp and I got to Stemple Pass and it was posted what it was
for.  The trees are also marked with a small blaze.

By the way, Mrs Gorp and I was coming down off Pitamakin Pass in Glacier
yesterday and saw a large male grizzly near Old Man Lake.  :-)
*
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Jim Wolf <mail at cdtsociety.org> wrote:

> Government agencies are studying bear populations and distribution
> between Glacier and Yellowstone. One technique being used is to attract
> bears to dead trees that have been surrounded by a few strands of barbed
> wire. When a bear elects to rub its back against the tree, it will leave
> hairs that can be analyzed to determine its unique DNA profile. The area
> of active research extends well south of Lincoln -- at least as far as
> Bison Mountain.
>
> For pictures of bear rubs, go to
> http://nrmsc.usgs.gov/research/KendallRemoteCamera.htm
>
> Apparently some of the research trees can be found along the CDT. Watch
> for them -- and if you have any coordinates, please pass them along.
>
> Jim Wolf

_
-_-_--- _(_)/  (_)   Stumpknocker