[Cdt-l] Daily updates via Spot?

david booth david.booth at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 1 18:29:39 CDT 2011

Technology allows us to post daily updates but is this necessarily a
good thing?
What does the family do if there is no report on a particular day? Do
they worry?
Do they contact SAR? Is it because of a technology malfunction, no
signal, low battery? Is it due to the hiker forgetting to signal each
day? What action should they take if they see you ten miles off
course? What did families do before these technical wonders were
invented? How did they ever cope?
I admit I love my GPS, it allows me to make less navigational errors
and is a tool to augment map and compass. But I would never want to
report my position each day. This would limit my wilderness
experience, part of which is leaving behind the trappings of
civilization for a while and not be causing my family undue worry and
anxiety.
My family has learned to have confidence in my wilderness skills and
experience and understand that for whatever reason schedules may vary
during a hike according to many factors.
Aussie Dave
Canberra Australia