[Cdt-l] Daily updates via Spot?

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Sun Apr 3 23:16:52 CDT 2011

I think you have to set guidelines with your family/friends before you
leave to address just these instances. I would think that unless you
active the "help button", or didn't check in for many days past your due
date, they would just understand you're OK.

I suppose everyone is in a different situation... if you have a medical
issue that raises your risk level, or are a bit older... perhaps
something like a SPOT would be a reasonable trade-off... Yes, not quite
the same as being fully immersed in Wilderness, but better than the
alternatives. Everyone's limits of technological intervention are
different. I mean, silicon-impregnated nylon is pretty un-natural... And
when you think about what it takes to refine just a few ounces of camp
fuel, it's a bit boggling. I know these are a bit different than having
an immediate tether via satellite to the outside world, but to someone
like Jim Bridger, they'd probably seem like a lot of unnecessary fluff.
So, I guess we all have to just make our own bargains & hike our own
hikes...

-Jonathan