[Cdt-l] Mountain Snowpack Map...

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 08:57:38 CDT 2011

for 1 Apr 2011 came out this morning:
_http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2011/
snow1104.gif_
(http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2011/snow1104.gif)
The snowpack is far worse/deeper than last year in every PCT and CDT state
but NM; compare it to 2010:
_http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2010/
snow1004.gif_
(http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2010/snow1004.gif)

    It's gonna be a tough year for thru hikers, and  section hikers like
me; the streams will be dangerous into July. I'm totally  having to replan my
summer; at least I can finish NM in Apr-May, but I've  decided to start
earlier. Water may well be a huge problem in NM this year,  as my Big Bend part
of TX and all of NM are extremely dry. Wildfires are a daily  occurrence
here right now, as we've essentially had no rain for over half a  year.

    The AZT & GET are affected low snow, therefore  low water probably.
They'll get hotter earlier I'd guess. We're warmer than  normal here in Big
Bend, and have been for 2-3 weeks.

Bob "Trekker"  Brewer
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

"Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See,  if it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.' " -- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it
costs when its free."  -- P J O'Rourke