[Cdt-l] northern New Mexico

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 22:51:17 CDT 2011

Melanie,

_http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl_
(http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl)  was on a pct-l & cdt-l posting I made this
morning; read  it first. NM, AZ, & S CA are the only places one will be able to
easily hike  on any trail, for the next 6-8 weeks I'd guess; the snowpack is
10-40% worse  than last year almost everywhere else. I'm going to finish NM,
Snow Lake (N side  Gila Mtns) to Cumbres Pass, in Apr-May; I expect no snow
problems, but do expect  water problems because NM, and my Big Bend TX, are
very dry with no rain for  over half a year. Anyhow after NM, I have no idea
where I'm going on the CDT, S  WY perhaps, as the elevations there are
somewhat lower, mostly 6- 7,000 ft;  see the white hole in S WY on the map. I may
go S to N there as there's average  snowpack after the white hole, but then
well above average towards Yellowstone  NP.

I need to pick up Glacier NP and S MT for  instance, but the GNP CDT won't
be mostly melted off until late Jul; I also need  N CO and all of WY, all
except the Great Basin Desert being above to well  above normal snowpack. I
have no interest in fighting snow; I just want to hike.

Let me know if you learn anything about what can be  hiked,
Bob "Trekker" Brewer
Big Bend Desert Denizen,  and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas

"Government cripples  you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if it
wasn't for us, you couldn't  walk.' " -- Harry Browne

"If you think health care is expensive now, wait  until you see what it
costs when its free." -- P J O'Rourke

In a message dated 4/7/2011 6:19:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,