[Cdt-l] To gaiter or not to gaiter?

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Apr 15 20:18:35 CDT 2011

I've had good luck with the OR "flex" gaiters - for both snow & dirt.
These have a flexible non-waterproof material, kind of like a ruggedized
spandex. They breathe well, and do a good enough job keeping the solid
snow out of my shoes. I think you don't really need something fully
waterproof for this. Mostly, the moisture will drip down the material,
not so much through it. Personally, I like them in the non-snow too -
they just keep a lot of the crud out of your shoes, which yields
cleaner, healthier feet.

Eventually, these did break down. Usually the snap at the top went...
and the understrap had to be replaced periodically (no big deal). The
material held up pretty well though. a pair lasted me the whole CDT,
until one of them was swept off my foot in the Gila...

However, they have changed a few things in the new design:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/flex_tex_gaiters.html
This has a more substantial understrap, which might seem good, but I
wonder how replaceable/durable they are. Plus, they no longer have both
tall and short ones. they have large and small, but that's not the same
thing. The tall ones were overkill for the CDT (and too warm). Kind of a
bummer, as it seems OR has killed one of their best products. Maybe
someone else offers a similar product?

-Jonathan