[Cdt-l] To gaiter or not to gaiter?

Earl Needham earl.kd5xb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 18:53:30 CDT 2011

I know I'm a little late on this thread, but I've been on the road and just
got home.

About 15 years ago, I was GIVEN a pair of Powderline gaiters -- Gore-Tex,
etc -- they're really nice.  I still have them here.

Unfortunately, my situation changed, and I am no longer able to drop
everything and go hiking/backpacking as I used too.  (Basically, I got tired
of making the decision of whether to eat or keep the house, so I got a job
with some long hours...)

Anyway, back to the gaiters -- I think I've used them less than a dozen
times since they were given to me.  As nice as they are, though, I would say
that, when you need them, there is no substitute.

One caveat, if you're about to buy gaiters -- take your boots with you to a
store and make sure the gaiters you're looking at will fit over your boots!
My Powderline gaiters don't quite fit over my Reichle Montagnas, but I am
able to "rig" them on there.  It would be better to do a test-fit before you
buy.

Enjoy the Trail, sure wish *I* could!
Earl