[Cdt-l] Town list for isobutane canisters

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Apr 20 16:50:45 CDT 2011

David:

>From my posting to the CT Forum in May 2010, and up-dated since then:

Freeze Dried Food and Fuel Availability

I've contacted - or tried to - each of the outdoor stores listed in my
earlier post to determine if they carry (1) freeze-dried meals, (2)
MSR-style isobutene gas canisters for stoves, and (3) Esbit solid fuel
tablets.

Here's a summary of the responses to date:

BRECKENRIDGE (Mountain Outfitters): carries Backpackers Pantry freeze-dried
meals and MSR and JetBoil canisters - both the 100 and 230 gram sizes for
each. They do not carry Esbit tablets but will stock them for you if you
call and arrange it in advance.

LEADVILLE (Sawatch Back Country): carries Mountain House and Natural High FD
meals as well as MSR, JetBoil, and Primus gas canisters. They did not
mention Esbit in their reply.

BUENA VISTA (Trailhead Sports): carries Mountain House FD meals and MSR,
JetBoil, and Primus canisters. They do not carry Esbit tablets but will
stock them for you if you call and arrange it in advance. They also hold
packages for hikers.

SALIDA (Salida Mountain Sports): carries BackPacker's Pantry brand FD meals
and both sizes of MSR and JetBoil canisters, as well as Primus and optimus.
They do carry Esbit tablets

LAKE CITY (Sportsman Outdoor): carries Mountain House brand FD meals and gas
canisters (no brands named). They do not carry Esbit tablets.

CREEDE: (San Juan Sports) closed for the season, re-opening in May,

SILVERTON:  (Outdoor World): not to be confused with Bass Pro's Outdoor
World, this is a small local shop. He carries Mountain House FD meals, both
sizes of MSR and JetBoil canisters, and will probably have Esbit tablets.
They get a lot of CT and CDT hikers through every year.

I have not been able to reach the Twin Lakes General Store today. When I do,
I'll post what I learned.

Wandering Bob