[Cdt-l] Town list for isobutane canisters

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 13:25:31 CDT 2011

I finally reached the Twin Lakes General Store today. They carry isobutene
canisters in two sizes. I was warned that they do run out occasionally
during the summer and that it’s a long way to Salida or Breckenridge. I
suspect restocking takes a while too. It was suggested that packages should
be sent there via USPS rather than by private carrier (UPS, FedEx) as the
drivers often drop them and don’t tell the store they’ve arrived. Sounds
weird, but who am I to question their system?

I was also advised that the Wind Spirit Café and Cabins is closed. They are
both being remodeled into apartments. The Wind Spirit was the only place in
town to eat, so the General Store is considering adding some kind of food to
take up the slack

..don’t bet on it.

Also closed is the Nordic Inn. That leaves only the Twin Peaks Lodge for
accommodations.

Also, the Willis Gulch bridge has not been rebuilt (lack of funds) and will
most likely be removed instead. Cross at the gauging station instead.
Alternatively, there is a trail from Twin Lakes (the store can tell you
where) that leads to a ford of Lake Creek and up to the CDT to Hope Pass.

According to Yogi’s CDT Handbook, Twin Lakes was voted the worst CO town
stop on the CDT. Salida, CO was voted the best stop on the entire CDT, while
Rawlins, WY was voted the worst.