[Cdt-l] Fw: Reply to thread 'Shotgun or Pistol for Bear Defense'

Earl Needham earl.kd5xb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:40:38 CDT 2011

Just saw this on a SHAVING forum!

Any idea if this might have been a CDT hiker?

Earl

From: "Badger & Blade" <support at badgerandblade.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 13:06:53
To: <earl.kd5xb at gmail.com>
Subject: Reply to thread 'Shotgun or Pistol for Bear Defense'

Dear Clovis Man,

The Count of Merkur Cristo has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Shotgun or Pistol for Bear Defense - in the The Great Outdoors! forum of Badger & Blade.

This thread is located at:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/196049-Shotgun-or-Pistol-for-Bear-Defense?goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
***************
"WEST GLACIER, Mont [August 6 2011 5:32:26 AM ET]. — Glacier National Park says a grizzly bear mauled a 50-year-old hiker but the man was able to walk for help [God was watching over him].

Spokeswoman Denise Germann says the St. Paul, Minn., man was hiking alone from Many Glacier to Piegan Pass around noon Friday when he encountered a mother grizzly with an older cub.

She says in a release that the animal attacked and bit the hiker on an arm, leg and foot and then shook him before leaving. *_The man had bear spray but couldn't use it in time._*

Despite the wounds, the man walked until he met up with a ranger who called for help. The hiker was hospitalized in Browning, but his condition was not immediately available [and], his name was not released.

Germann says the trail from Piegan Pass to Feather Plum Falls has been closed as rangers investigate.

Park officials say cases of grizzly or black bears injuring people at Glacier occur less than once a year [but once is all it takes...to be dead or alive],".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44044112/ns/us_news/?gt1=43001

So much for using Bear Spray...if you can get to it. :a46:

That said, I wouldn't even think or dream or be 'caught dead' of entering any National or State Park or woods or fields known to have bears without a firearm for defense. If I couldn't be armed because of local, state or federal laws....you won't be seeing me there my friend.

Again, if I needed a weapon for Bear defense, my weapon of choice (and the Mrs. too [she was also in the Army]), would be my 'good ole trusty' (Army issue type), pump action, 8 round (+ one in the chamber), 12 gauge Mossberg M590 Shotgun. Image: http://www.htloz.net/forums/images/smilies/awesome/shotgun3.gif

ChristopherImage: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/Dragonwiz/clipart/ShotGun5.gif

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Badger & Blade