[Cdt-l] Yellowstone

David Egley djegley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 18:19:49 CDT 2011

One idea to think about if Yellowstone backcountry sites fill up (as they
did about this time last year):

It is possible to do the CDT through Yellowstone as a series of day hikes,
hitching to Grant Village Campground for the night (where they have reserved
hiker/biker sites they will cram full).  Though hitch-hiking may be
"technically" illegal in National Parks,  we were flat-out told by rangers
it was fine to hitch in Yellowstone.  We were actually picked up by an
off-duty ranger once.  Many of the seasonal Xanterra concessions staff hitch
around the park on a regular basis, as their only means of transportation.

Also, if you are able to get a backcountry permit, it may help other CDT
hikers around you if you state that it is OK for the park staff to combine
other hikers into your campsite.  They will put a note on your permit in the
computer system.

David and Becky
CDT Southbound 2010