[Cdt-l] Gutsy and Odometer in Grand Lake

danandgailsc at aol.com danandgailsc at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 10:13:51 CDT 2011

Started section hike Sat 8/13 in Steamboat Springs, accessing CDT via Fish Creek Falls Trailm

Mon, met Dwayne, nobo hiker from Florida.

Tues walked in morning hail/rain on crest on 104 before descending to headwaters of Arapaho Ck.

Tented in Troublesome Pass.

Thurs Parkview climb was great, but descent a little steep/hairy.  Passed 2 section hikersIn Trout Ck valley, saw moose and calf. Tented at Illinois Ck and temp was 26 yesterday am.

Beautiful wildflowers going into Bowen Pass!  Large bull moose stood in trail and we bushwhacked around him; later saw bull and cow running away from us through the woods.

Arr Grand Lake at 5 pm. Stayed at Lone Eagle lodge.

With only about 1 week advance planning, we are using J Ley maps and Yogi guidebook data from 2007. We did have time to order Trails Illustrated maps and downloaded GPS track; also have Wolf book and supplmnt.

May go as far as Twin Lakes.

Dan