[Cdt-l] Northern New Mexico loop

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 17:59:54 CDT 2011

Here's the proposed layout of the route:

http://g.co/maps/gg2n

YMMV.

Latir Peaks Wilderness would be available from Questa as a side trip. Another option, after descending Wheeler Peak, is to resupply in Red River and then continue north to LPW from there, but it looks pretty road intensive. As mapped, paved road walking is minimal outside of Santa Fe.

A connection south to the GET at Sandia Crest would hook in on the west side of Santa Fe, east of the Rio Grande.

Hiking through downtown Santa Fe might seem a little off-putting. Placing it in perspective though, the AZ Trail goes right through Flagstaff, which is comparable in size, and that's not such a bad walk considering all you get in return for the traffic (endless culinary experiences!) And of course Santa Fe is the oldest state capitol in the United States, lots of culture, also the highest in elevation. (There's also no convenient way around it! :)

- blisterfree

Message: 2