[Cdt-l] Mosquito Hell

Moynihan mary.moynihan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 18:10:52 CST 2011

I've never experienced the severity of mosquitos before the Winds. They
were torturous. They left me running up passes and savoring the moments I
was chest deep fording swollen creeks! If I could do it over again I'd get
one of those full body bug suits or wear pants that the demons couldn't
penetrate through, but alas they always find a way to get into your
clothing.
Definitely have a shelter you can keep the world out. I'd gloriously watch
hundreds of noses probe through the no-see-um mesh of my tent. Camp was the
only time of day I'd have a break from them dining on my exposed flesh. The
Winds seem to be a problem many years. In general anywhere there was a
recent melt with warming temperatures could be ideal mozi-territory tho...
Also, definitely carry DEET through the winds and a decent sized bottle of
it. In my opinion and unfortunate experimentation only DEET will resist
mozi's. Don't bother with anything else.

-speedstick

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM, <rockmarkstar at aol.com> wrote:

> So I hear the mosquito's can be pretty nasty on the CDT. After almost
> losing my mind in Northern Yosemite in 2010, can I get away with sewing
> some sort of bug netting onto my tarp or should I seriously consider a
> TarpTent? I really like my tarp, but don't think I could handle an
> experience like Northern Yosemite again.
> -Flyboxer

*Three trails, one woman. To find about more about Mary and her recent
completion of the Triple Crown visit* http://www.marriedtothetrail.com/