[Cdt-l] Gila Wilderness

Andrew James longhiker.pct at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 19:29:18 CST 2011

Gosh Jim, you must not get out of the basement much.  People are writing in
here to help plan their hikes, not for baloney like that.

Last season I hiked the "official" route from Crazy Cook to Silver City and
was surprised at how much water there really was after the first 15 miles.
 I only really needed water from the first water box and Sam put that in
there when he took me in. I had planned on going via the Cliff Dwellings -
Gila River route because of all those horror stories about how dry it is.
 I was forced to change my itinerary because of the fire closure and ended
up going Black Range. I found it a bit dry, but there was plenty of water
to do it safely. As long as you carry enough for 20 miles it is not a
problem. (3 liters for me)  It turned out to be a really spectacular hike
and I'm glad I went that way.  Last year was unusually dry so I think this
stuff about "risk" is nonsense.

On Tuesday, December 27, 2011,  <eagletonjim at aol.com> wrote:
> You must be a "real" hiker.  You are asking some wackos for their
recommendations.

> Generally, the route on the new maps is newer  than the old maps.
> Genreally, the new official CDTA route takes you away from key water
sources, and puts you at risk unless you plan carefully.  Usually, the
water issues are documented when it gets reported on the Ley maps, but that
does not mean any thru hikers will hike it.

> The new NM route near the Colorado border is pretty good.  It is only a
little more difficult navigation and hiking difficulty.  A couple of us got
lost sobo in 2010.  It may be better by now.  Consider the new official
route wacko approved and the real route.