[Cdt-l] CDTS Columbus route KML & GPX

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 00:34:14 CST 2011

For some reason the recent "no trespassing" thread inspired me to break
out the maps and reminisce on my hike (8 years gone!) As is often the
case, one thing led to another, and (next thing I knew) I'd traced the
route from the border to the Gila using TopoFusion software, converted
it to Google Earth KML format, and uploaded it to the web. Compulsions,
compulsions...

Here it is:

http://www.simblissity.net/downloads/cdt/cdts-nm-columbusroute.kml

Also, in GPX format for gps units:

for northbounders:
http://www.simblissity.net/downloads/cdt/cdts-nm-columbusroute-nobo.gpx

for southbounders:
http://www.simblissity.net/downloads/cdt/cdts-nm-columbusroute-sobo.gpx

Maybe someone's already done this, but I haven't seen it. The trace
shows the CDT Society route from the Mexican border near Columbus to the
Gila National Forest at Tadpole Ridge where it intersects the "J Ley
route" down to Silver City and on to the Mexican border. The route line
shows the CDTS route ca. 2003 (per my guide) and is based on hand-eye
conversions of the 100,000 scale maps contained in the guide (with
recollections of my own), so is imperfect but hopefully useful for
comparative purposes.

Here's the New Mexico portion of the J Ley Google Earth trace, for
comparison:

http://www.simblissity.net/downloads/cdt/ley-cdt-new-mexico.kml
http://www.simblissity.net/downloads/cdt/ley-cdt-new-mexico-nobo.gpx
http://www.simblissity.net/downloads/cdt/ley-cdt-new-mexico-sobo.gpx

Fun trivia: It turns out the 'Columbus route' is about 20 miles longer
than the 'J Ley route' (between the border and the point where they
merge) - at least by the map. I believe the elevation gain is also
significantly greater on the Columbus route (especially if climbing
South Peak in the Floridas, which is how I mapped it).

The CDTS guide maps do a good job of showing private land boundaries,
particularly where these maps are based on the BLM data. I can maybe see
a few cases where the route crosses mapped private without the benefit
of a public road, but I would think the route has been vetted
throughout. Certainly the areas routinely mentioned on the list are
along established public rights-of-way, and never mind the locked gates
and signs that *seem* to indicate otherwise. (There are a few private
inholdings in the Gila NF along Berrenda Canyon, a very common thing in
New Mexico, and in fact these are sometimes off-limits to the public,
including along the forest roads, so let's consider ourselves lucky and
well-behaved.)

- blisterfree