[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 39, Issue 42

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 12:45:07 CST 2011

On 1/1/2011 8:01 PM, Ed Kerr wrote:
Cattle are peculiar creatures, so different from breed to breed and
ranch to ranch.  I have some cattle that are very wild and will run when
they see you from a distance, and then I have cows that will stand there
and let you ride or walk almost right up to them.  If you watch the
movie, Temple Grandin, it does a good job in one scene where she lays
down in the corral and the cattle dome up to her and gather all around
her.  As curiousity kills the cat, cattle are very curious if they don't
feel threatened.   That flight signal in them is very strong and seems
more reactive to movement on "the intruder's" part than anything.  If
you are still, or move very slowly you can approach are get very close,
but a quick step, making noise, or even flap your coattail, it will
cause a fast flight response in a lot of cattle.

On rattlesnakes:   Cattle are seldom bitten by a snake, but when they
are it is usually in the head or neck, i.e. the grazing animal is slowly
moving along eating and accidentally provokes an unsuspecting snake,
which bites.  In my lifetime of being around cattle I have only two
snakebit cows, but both cases survived although the swelling in
their head and neck was huge and turned hard and they were along time
recuperating.  A few years ago I had two yearling colts in the corral at
my house, I never saw the snake but they both got snakebit in the nose,
obviuosly their curiousity almost got them,  they must have both been
curious not knowing what they were looking at and actually reached down
to smell the snake and got bit.  They both survived but the one I really
got worried was going to strangle from swelling in the nose and throat.

Now, rattlesnakes here are the most dangerous in August, because they
are blinded after shedding their skin, so being blind most snakes will
not rattle, but are listening to locate your approach, which if you are
not watching, will result in either stepping on or near the snake which
risks being bit.  The ones that don't do this, react by being very
aggressive and start rattling when they first here your step....I
appreciate those much more.  I never walk outside unless I am
watching the ground where I place my foot.

Has there been much interaction on the CDT with rattlesnakes?

have a great day.

*Ed "Bim" Kerr*
*Kerr Ranch Tours*
edkerr52 at hotmail.com <mailto:edkerr52 at hotmail.com>
*575.313.2606*
*www.kerrranchtours.com <http://www.kerrranchtours.com/>

*
> I'd just spooked a bunch of cows in the draw
> before climbing up the ridge.   While I was setting up my pad and
> sleeping bag in the tent, seventeen of them lined up side by side about
> 50 yards away staring toward my tent as if to say, "What do you think
> you're doing here."  Sadly they wondered off before I got a chance to
> snap a picture.
> --Handlebar

It seems they do this whenever the light is insufficient to know exactly
what you are and what you're up to. I've never witnessed this behavior
in broad daylight; in fact it's the antithesis of the "every cow for
herself" scattering that usually occurs by day. What's more, the cows
will actually follow you sometimes, if you're night hiking, always
maintaining a certain distance behind you, stopping when you stop,
resuming when you move again. I imagine it's a genetic thing, dating
back to a time when their wild ancestors encountered large predators in
Africa and Europe, etc. It may yet serve them well, particularly in
Arizona where mountain lion predations are sometimes a concern.

I'm curious as to whether rattlesnakes are a concern for cattle. Do they
respond to the sight or sound of snakes? What are the consequences of
snakebite in this case? The story goes that poisonous snakes evolved the
rattle as a form of advertisement to large grazing animals, in order to
avoid confrontation and the risk of being stepped on. But what are the
odds of a hiker ever getting to find out firsthand how such an encounter
would play out?

- blisterfree