[Cdt-l] Intro 2011

Chris Willett cwillett03 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:20:13 CST 2011

I've started SOBO twice, once in 2005 and once in 2009:

http://cwillett.imathas.com/cdt/index.html

http://cwillett.imathas.com/cdt09/index.html

Depending on the year, snow can be pretty ferocious if you try to take the
highline (as I tried in 05) through Glacier. Because of camping
restrictions, no one does big miles through the park anyways, so your first
week is pretty low mileage.  Between East Glacier and Lincoln there is snow
to be found, with the worst of it along the Chinese Wall in 09. Both years
were about average. Both times I hiked the stretch in something like 7 days,
though some of those days were on the hard side due to snow.  Further south
in 09 there was some snow, but it was nothing to get too worked up about.

I would highly recommend you to not sleep with your food on the CDT until
you get to..., well, maybe just don't do it. I slept with my food every
night on the PCT in 03, but would definitely not do it if there are grizz
around.  People do do it on the CDT, but after running in to multiple
grizzlies on the CDT and on the Great Divide in Canada, and in the Coast
Range of BC, it just isn't something I'd do.

Suge