[Cdt-l] sam hughes number

ks1007 at aol.com ks1007 at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 12:04:19 CST 2011

575 436 2662

el coyote
Keith and Mary
Trail Angels
Deming, NM

-----Original Message-----
From: Trekker4 <Trekker4 at aol.com>
To: aslive <aslive at sbcglobal.net>; cdt-l <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2011 10:00 am
Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Fw: Hi everyone, NM h2o, Pie Town

    As I recall, there are 5 bear-type boxes for h2o, food, whatever between Crazy Cook (or Antelope Wells) on the "official" route, all very close to road crossings; I drove my own h2o to all 5 of them last March, and all are unprotected in any way.
    Sam Hughes in Hachita (can't find phone at moment-doesn't generally return calls, so catch him at home) will help you stash your water in 2-3 of them, perhaps more for extra $; they're on the CDT site, or the BLM site - I forget, but put them on my GPS; Sam also tries to keep a large cache bottle in 2-3 of them; and Sam will also shuttle you to Crazy Cook ($90 last year, gave him $100, as he also picked me up @ I-10 & NM-146, for no extra $, where hitching was extremely slow on a holiday).
    In Pie Town, it's the Pio-O-Neer Cafe, hands down, for pie; 2-3 pieces a day are recommended to restore your health. There's also the Daily Pie for when Pie-O-Neer is closed, or for breakfast. Also home to the Toaster House, a whole house in which Trail Angel Nita Larronde (575-772-2651) raised her 5 kids.

Happy Hiking Year to All,
Bob "Trekker" Brewer
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas

"Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if it wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.' " -- Harry Browne

"If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when its free." -- P J O'Rourke