[Cdt-l] Wagontongue Mtn

Kathy-Tom Laskowske tom_laskowske at wycliffe.net
Sun Jul 10 07:09:15 CDT 2011

Jon,

Thanks for getting in to Wagontongue Mtn last fall with your crew. Are you
saying they removed the deadfall from the trail on the whole north slope?
That was a lot. Reestablishing the trail through the burn area and clearing
out that deadfall is highly appreciated by hikers I'm sure. Jim Wolf told me
this issue had been mentioned repeatedly to the FS, with no action in
response. Looks like you beat them to it. Way to go!

I went through there southbound in Oct 09. I've only hiked the CDT in
southern New Mexico so far (CDTS recommended route), plus most of Glacier,
but the north slope of Wagontongue Mtn, especially at upper elevations, had
to be the most neglected stretch of trail I encountered. I don't know if the
FS keeps track of such things, or whether you can get that info from them,
but I wonder if you can tell me how long it had been since the last time
that part of the trail had been cleared. My guess is 20 years, but I'm
really interested to know.

I haven't seen any response to your request for a report from this year's
hikers. Maybe we'll have to wait for the SOBOs.

Tom Laskowske
Davao City, Philippines