[Cdt-l] Trail conditions - Stony Pass to Monarch Pass

Moynihan mary.moynihan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 09:42:34 CDT 2011

Thanks for all the detail through the San Juans, I'll be certain to mark my
maps up. I'm in Silverton after hiking 5 days from Pagosa, including the
drop off from Stoney Pass. Five of us navigated successfully, mostly with
map and compass. I am so thankful to having had the ability to hike with
others who are skilled map readers as I have greatly improved my own
abilities. I wore Vasque leather boots and the rest wore trail runners. Wet
feet all day, but that's unavoidable. They carried micro spikes, I carried
my mountaineering crampons and they definitely came in handy a few mornings.
The snow is almost entirely settled, so no avy concerns. Some steep
traverses, quite a bit x-c as most of the trail was under snow. The biggest
and most wonderful stretch was near Squaw creek where 3-4 miles of trail!
Beautiful, snow free, dry trail! Oh, the smell of the pine forest was
wonderful!
Worth every ounce of effort through here.
Heading out here in a couple of days, Tomato and myself.
Ben.....your tracks have completely vanished as we thought no one else had
been through yet!
Speedstick

--
*To find out more about Mary and her hike along the 3,000 mile long
Continental Divide Trail please go to*: www.marriedtothetrail.com