[Cdt-l] Speedstick and Tomato in Salida, CO

Moynihan mary.moynihan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 17:10:28 CDT 2011

Another 90 or so miles and I'll be 1,000 miles in! Woot! Woot!
Anyways, just checking in. Tomato and I hitched into Salida. Leaving Stoney
Pass we hiked to Spring Creek Pass, went into Chama for a few hours ($1
Kokane pints at Kipps 3-4pm......seriously hikers, go there!) and then onto
Monarch. In the mix of all those miles the trail was almost entirely snow
free from Lost Creek to Spring Creek Pass and then even farther north
until....Windy Peak, approx. 15 miles south of Monarch. Wow, those were
wonderful miles. Beautiful, wonderful trail! He and I even picked up our
pace as the miles stayed relatively level and we made in to the pass a day
early. I really can't say it enough, it is wonderful hiking on trail! And
all the wildflowers, shootingstars, Pasque flowers, buttercups, Irises,
asters.....
Anyways, I am sure the snow is lingering up there north of Monarch so
planning for the worst, hoping for the best. Tomato and I will be hiking
this next stretch together, although it is like the days on the PCT and At
where you can hike for miles alone and meet up at camp or confusing
junctions.
To all those south good luck and all those southbound the more luck!
-speedstick

--
*To find out more about Mary and her hike along the 3,000 mile long
Continental Divide Trail please go to*: www.marriedtothetrail.com