[Cdt-l] trip report: Great Divide Basin, Wyo.

Brill Stephen stephenbrill at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 08:26:21 CDT 2011

Hello all,

Cap'n Jack and I hiked the CDT from Rawlins to South Pass City 11 to 18 June.  We found water at every place that Jonathan's maps indicate and at some other places too.  In other words, finding water was not too much of an issue.  There was cow poop present near most (if not all) of these sources, so filtering is advised in most cases.

The days were quite sunny and the nights chilly. It must have dipped below freezing the night of the 16th/17th as some of the water in our bottles had frozen throughout the night.

The real concern on this segment is the ticks.  We must have hit it just right for tick season.  Every day we found ticks on us.  Cap'n Jack must have removed at least 30 from his body throughout the trip.

It was a great trip.  Good luck to all CDT hikers out there!

-- Moondancer