[Cdt-l] CDT hiker in need of help

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Thu Jun 23 14:57:04 CDT 2011

There are several places between Chama and Silverton where it is easy to
take a wrong turn and a gps and maps are extremely helpful.  This is
particularly true when there is a lot of snow.

The waypoints are free online from www.cdtrail.org  The CDTA Colorado
Mapbook is available as a physical book or downloaded for a price from
www.Lulu.com (search for Continental Divide Trail Mapbook) To get the hard
copy version takes a week but you could download it and print the pages you
need.  Jonathan Leys maps they are free but that might take some time for
him to send his cd. The National Geographic Maps that you will find in
Pagosa Springs are not particularly great for navigation but combined with a
gps they may work.

Perhaps a better idea might be to wait around a few days and see if you can
hook up with some other hikers that are better prepared. There are probably
people coming through about now.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown
(970) 403-3527    Cell: (970) 749-0496