[Cdt-l] another CDT hiker in need of help

wingnut.hiker at gmail.com wingnut.hiker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 15:01:29 CDT 2011

Thanks bearcreek. I just tried it and it works great! Wish I'd known that
in the Bootheel.

"Most gps receivers have a navigation screen than can be configured to show
both “Bearing” and “Heading” on the same screen. Set these up so they are
side by side. To dead reckon a waypoint, simply walk in a direction where
these two readings show the same number and you will go directly to the
waypoint. For me this is easier and more reliable than trying to walk a map
line, which causes you to zigzag continuously. This works best if you turn
the gps compass off as a poorly calibrated compass will systematically
throw you off. (or make sure the compass is calibrated well)"