[Cdt-l] Goldstone reroute

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Mar 2 21:44:58 CST 2011

A 2010 hiker reported heading across the ridge to the south of Cowbone
Lake /Darkhorse Creek. There's an old? road there, and he reported it to
be in good shape. This goes by Goldstone Lake, and connects Goldstone
Pass with Skinner Lake. This would bypass the whole area around Cowbone
Lake, including that big winding loop. anyway, I added it as an
alternate in 2011.

However, to me, the bigger issue is that the trail comes down off the
divide between Cowbone Lake to Rock Island Lakes. Looking southbound, I
think a really cool route would head south to Miner Lake... but there's
really no way through south of there without some serious trail building
or lots of up/down, or cross-country over steep terrain. If a trail
could be built to just south of Center Mountain... or even to Timberline
Lake... from there, it looks like the easiest routing would mostly be on
the Idaho side of the divide. If the CDT could be routed through there
somehow, the terrain looks fantastic, I'm sure it'd be another highlight
of the trail.

-Jonathan