[Cdt-l] Reccomend snowshoes in San Juans?

nathanael lintner nglintner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 07:14:38 CST 2011

Hi Everyone,

Question for people who have hiked the CDT northbound: Do you think it would
be worth carrying snowshoes north of Charma, NM? Our tenative schedule for
this summer has us leaving Charma on June 16th and we are considering
whether to send ourselves snowshoes, crampons and/or iceaxes. We know that
there will be lots of snow but what we would like to know from previous NOBO
hikers, was the snow generally the soft type that you posthole in or was it
generally hard snow that you can stay on top of? Approximately what
percentage of the trail would you say was snowcovered? Did you carry
snowshoes? Did you wish you did? How about iceaxes; were there lots of steep
traverses where it would be good to have one? We would really like to do the
whole San Juan loop and not the Creede cutoff.

Nathanael Lintner