[Cdt-l] [pct-l] Map Weight

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 11:03:09 CST 2011

I print anyone's maps on both sides of 24-lb  paper,;dip them in Thompson's
Waterseal, to reduce moisture damage (The paper  mostly won't dissolve at
all; water beads to some extent; allowing it to be  wiped off quickly without
damage to ink jet printing.) and dry them on a  clothesline with
clothespins for at least 6 hours above 60 degrees. If the pages  get wet for very
long, they will be damages; the Waterseal just slows the time  to bleeding ink;
of course, if you use a color laser printer, the bleeding  problem goes
away, but the dissolving problem remains.
    The weight doesn't matter. You have to carry the  maps, but I only
carries the maps needed between resupply stops. If  you don't get boxes mailed
to you at every stop, you'll have to figure out  another solution.
    Lastly, Windows 7 has a built in photo fix  capability. It will enhance
.gif files, whereas Photoshop Elements Starter won't  recognize the .gif
files. JLey's CDT maps gain better contrast and readability.  I don't know if
Halfmile's .pdf maps can be enhanced or not; they may not need  it.

Bob "Trekker"  Brewer
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

"Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See,  if it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.' " -- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it
costs when its free."  -- P J O'Rourke

In a message dated 3/9/2011 9:12:02 P.M. Central Standard Time,