[Cdt-l] 30 days' walk SURVEY

cicelyb250 at aol.com cicelyb250 at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 14:17:46 CDT 2011

Glacier reserves half of it's campsites for "walk ins".  In 2009 just walked in and started "negotiating".  Had to wait one day before walking thru areas needing the permits, but it went pretty well.  There is a "free" bus that drives about so one spot involved hailing down the bus and driving a few miles down a road to a camping area (hey it had showers and a restaurant); then bus back to the trail in the morning.  Several hikers who had had permits for months still had to make changes since bear activity had closed several sites.  Glacier in the summer was amazing!  Headed from South to North so didn't even need permits until after E. Glacier.  Camped at the park boundary, then next few days hit campsites at roads that always seemed to have a space for a few little tents.