[Cdt-l] Blackfoot Tribal Permits

nathanael lintner nglintner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:31:27 CDT 2011

You could almost certainly get away with hiking the few miles of CDT across
the Blackfoot Reservation without a tribal permit. Tribal fish and game
almost never check that area. They are more concerned with hunting and
fishing.

That said, you really SHOULD get a permit. Getting a permit is the honest
thing to do, the tribe needs the money, and you will be promoting good
relationships between the tribal and hiker community. The permits are very
cheap ($10 and good for an entire year) and available at several locations
in every tribal town (ie Mark Howser's store). I think you can also get them
at GNP ranger stations at the same time at you get your park service
permits.

However, it is excessive for NOBO hikers to hitch from Marias Pass to East
Glacier to get a permit. The Tribal authorities really wouldn't have a
problem with you hiking the few miles of the CDT from Glacier National Park
to East Glacier and then buying a permit when you got to East Glacier.

Nathanael Lintner