[Cdt-l] Blackfoot Tribal Permits

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 13:55:55 CDT 2011

I called the Blackfeet Fish and Wildlife office and asked if hikers really
needed a permit in order to detour though East Glacier. The man's answer was
pretty much what Nathanael said below. He said "Technically yes, but the
chances you will encounter a warden on the few miles of reservation you will
have to cross are almost nil". He went on to say that whether you are going
north or south through East Glacier, you can stop at the gas station in the
middle of town and pick up a permit. During our conversation he repeated
"technically yes" several times, so reading between the lines he seemed to
be saying "Don't worry about it".  Once in East Glacier you can stop at the
gas station and buy a permit if you want, but it certainly doesn't warrant
hitching into East Glacier just to get a permit. -Ron Smith


From: cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:cdt-l-bounces at backcountry.net]
On Behalf Of nathanael lintner
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:31 AM
To: bcss at bresnan.net
Cc: cdt-l at backcountry.net; Ralph Alcorn
Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Blackfoot Tribal Permits


You could almost certainly get away with hiking the few miles of CDT across
the Blackfoot Reservation without a tribal permit. Tribal fish and game
almost never check that area. They are more concerned with hunting and

That said, you really SHOULD get a permit. Getting a permit is the honest
thing to do, the tribe needs the money, and you will be promoting good
relationships between the tribal and hiker community. The permits are very
cheap ($10 and good for an entire year) and available at several locations
in every tribal town (ie Mark Howser's store). I think you can also get them
at GNP ranger stations at the same time at you get your park service

However, it is excessive for NOBO hikers to hitch from Marias Pass to East
Glacier to get a permit. The Tribal authorities really wouldn't have a
problem with you hiking the few miles of the CDT from Glacier National Park
to East Glacier and then buying a permit when you got to East Glacier.

Nathanael Lintner


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20110324/ef03b566/attachment.html 

More information about the Cdt-l mailing list