[Cdt-l] Blackfoot Tribal Permits

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 13:55:55 CDT 2011

I called the Blackfeet Fish and Wildlife office and asked if hikers really
needed a permit in order to detour though East Glacier. The man's answer was
pretty much what Nathanael said below. He said "Technically yes, but the
chances you will encounter a warden on the few miles of reservation you will
have to cross are almost nil". He went on to say that whether you are going
north or south through East Glacier, you can stop at the gas station in the
middle of town and pick up a permit. During our conversation he repeated
"technically yes" several times, so reading between the lines he seemed to
be saying "Don't worry about it".  Once in East Glacier you can stop at the
gas station and buy a permit if you want, but it certainly doesn't warrant
hitching into East Glacier just to get a permit. -Ron Smith