[Cdt-l] accurate GPX track based on the new mapbook data?

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 13:58:38 CDT 2011

> Is CDT GPS data available for MT?  Specifically, Butte area to YNP?
>

> Dan

Dan, this may be a question for Jerry Brown as well:

I'm trying to get ahold of an accurate GPX track for the CDT across the
Gila National Forest. The Trailsource data (
http://www.trailsource.com/continental-divide-trail/index.asp ) is more
of an approximation and the number of points in the track too few to
provide an accurate mileage figure and elevation profile. The waypoint
files that CDTA is generously providing (
www.cdtrail.org/page.php?pname=waypoints ) are as we know based on
actual field measurements, and when overlaid on the GPX track line the
inaccuracies of the latter become obvious. Unfortunately the waypoint
file is too spartan to allow one to "connect the dots" in an accurate
way, so there appears to be no way to "grow your own" track file using
mapping software.

An accurate track file would be extremely helpful for anyone planning to
incorporate portions of the CDT into extended routes of their own
making, which is the punishment I've lately begun meting out for myself.
CDT section hikers and loop hikers could also make handy use of an
accurate source file, rather than tracing information by hand from the
CDT mapbooks. I imagine this would resonate with a lot of folks, who
would be more than happy to pay for this information, given the time and
effort that went into gathering it for use in the mapbooks.

- Brett