[Cdt-l] Info on Cuba NM

Melanie Simmerman jennylind50 at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 13:11:01 CDT 2011

For hikers who may be behind us. FYI: Heet is no longer available at the Conoco
Station in Cuba.  We found some at the NAPA Auto Parts Store. But there were
only a couple of bottles left.

As per a previous post: We heard that The Circle A is being renovated and is
closed. Call first to confirm before heading out there.

Ojo de los Indios Spring excellent. Ojo Frio also good.  FYI:  if anyone is
heading up to Cuba and needs to get to town faster for any reason, you can take
Jonathan's purple route after Ojo Frio which is basically County Rd 279 that
goes past the abandoned town of Cabezon - it leads to Hwy 550 and you can easily
hitch into town from there. There are some ranches along the way where you could
seek help if necessary.
Just where the purple route hangs left to rejoin the red (official CDT route)
you continue on 279.  Distance approx. 20-25 miles.

Melanie