[Cdt-l] AZT to GDT Complete

Benjamin Mayberry benmayberry at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 17:47:13 CDT 2011

On September 8th, I reached the northern terminus of the Great Divide Trail
at Kakwa Lake and finished hiking the AZT to GDT Route. There's more info on
the route itself at http://benmayberry.net/azt-to-gdt and more info on my
trip at http://benmayberry.net.

I haven't calculated the total mileage yet but I think it will be less than
the 4,300 miles that I estimated before I started. The route may be a bit
longer than some hikers will want to travel in one season but it's an
incredible route (passes through 14 national parks, nearly a thousand miles
of the Colorado Plateau AND the entire length of the southern Canadian
Rockies) that deserves to be repeated and is more approachable than it might
appear.

For anyone interested in a shorter version, my first recommendation would be
hiking an Arizona Trail-Hayduke Trail-Continental Divide Trail combo. My
second recommendation would be hiking the CDT followed by the Great Divide
Trail.

Best of luck to the SOBO's still out there, I've got my fingers crossed the
snow holds off until you're out of Colorado.

Ben Mayberry