[Cdt-l] gps with maps question

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 20:37:04 CDT 2012

I'm new to gps's but have been thinking of getting one for next years CDT
thru hike.  I've been looking at the Garmin etrex 20 and think it would
more than meet all my needs.

I understand how to use the Ley maps and a GPS together and also that there
are some gps tracks available from bearcreek.  But I may take different
routes then these tracks, hey I'm open about exactly which way I go.

My question is for a device like the Garman etrex 20 - if I want the maps
for the whole area of the CDT what are my options.  I saw where Garmin had
topo maps (24K) for sale that you could buy for mountain south, central,
and north but I would be looking at $300 for all of these plus the $200 for
the device.  I can hike a lot of miles for $500.  Is this the typical
option or am I missing something.   I could get by with just the
data points and I will be carrying paper copies of the Ley maps but it
would be nice to have the maps on the GPS device too,  I'm just not sure if
it would be $300 nice.  Any GPS folks want to let me know if there are
other options for the maps or is this just the way it is.

Thanks
Day-Late (still a compass guy)