[Cdt-l] GPS base maps

Dylan Carlson carlsods at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 13:05:16 CDT 2012

After numerous experiences following trails obscured by 6 feet of snow, I
have come to respect the mapping software in modern GPS.  On the CDT, I
just carried topo maps and compass, but I also had a late start and waited
longer for snow to melt.

My point is, there are times when you literally cannot see the trail - even
when you're right on top of it.  If you're going to carry a GPS, batteries,
and accessories, you might as well carry one with some basic mapping
software to show you where the trail is.

Dylan Carlson
CDT 2009
PNT 2006