[Cdt-l] Wifi only device on trail?

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:28:39 CDT 2012

I still haven't decided how I am going to update my journal on the trail.
The idea of carrying a cell phone just doesn't appeal to me - because I
don't want to be always connected and I also don't want to pay for a phone
contract.

I used a peek email only device on the PCT and that worked fine, but alas
they have gone under.  Anyway I was thinking about looking into a wifi only
device like a nexus or surface tablet but before I spend a lot of time
looking these over I was wondering if a wifi only device would ever be able
to connect up to anything in the small towns along the way on the CDT.

I'm not really looking for something that I can connect daily,  just
something I could write my journal and send out an email to my journal
about once a week.
So my question is:  would a wifi only device work on the CDT or would I
only get service so infrequently that it would be mostly dead weight?

My other alternative is to hand write my journal entries and mail them to
someone who will then type them into a computer for me.
Not a great alternative as by the end of the day my terrible handwriting
can actually get worse than its usual low standard.

Day-Late